Thursday, December 9, 2010

Plague.

I'M the plague. ME. Guess why? Two reasons.

1. I cover my head.
2. I'm Shia.

Bus jee. I didn't know I was contagious. Where I study now, the friends I used to have in school are of course horrified by both these things. And even for those who've been really close friends for years? I'm a problem. Because I don't go out in Muharram (no, not because I'm 'forbidden', I choose not to), I don't listen to music or watch movies AND OH MY GOD HOW TACKY IS THAT.

A friend of mine, someone I've known for YEARS called me up specially to make me admit somehow that I (being Shia) am wrong about all my concepts about religion, I live in a fantasy world, I'm a masochist and whatever I do during Muharram is apparently completely senseless and ridiculous. I have only two simple words to say in response:

Fuck off.

I have never engaged in religious debating because it always ends up turning into a massive fight, and also because I really don't care what the other person perceives religion as. Everyone follows their own school of thought, I leave you alone, you should have the respect to leave ME alone. But this is insane, most of my friends calling me up and telling me how wrong I am, how I'm 'dozakhi' and I should convert now, before its too late.

No disrespect meant to anyone but why is it your problem? It has absolutely nothing to do with you. Why SHOULD I convert to whatever point of view, school of thought or religion you want me to? What business is it of yours if I believe what I believe?

Upar se ye bloody insensitivity. Nahi pata ek cheez ka to mut bolo. Senseless nonsense le kar shuro ho jayen ge sab. I have to listen to this every bloody year (pretty sure all practicing Shias do) but this year its getting so bad I don't know what to do.

I've said it to you in person (in nicer terms) and you didn't understand. So here, I'll spell it out for you:

Leave me the fuck alone.

P.S. This is a very condensed version of what I actually wanted to say. But I can't. So... yeah.

19 comments:

Anonymous said...

*hugs*

Lonely Perverted Soul said...

Cool.... Live and let live ... Hope everything goes fine for you...

• » ∂я.¢нιℓє ¢нєℓ¢ « • said...

umm gal dn get depressed ...!!
things will get better:)
i wish things go fine 4 ya:)

CrazyLady said...

I had a similar rant last year. I hate pretentious people jo Muharram main over hee ho jaatay hain.

The Me. said...

Haw yaaar. I mean. I don't have any Shia friends, but even if i did. I mean. I would never do that. Everyone has the right to believe what they believe. You are who you are and your friends should accept and respect that.

Opinionated Jaahil said...

Are you serious? People really do that? As in call people up and tell them they're going to hell because of what they believe? That is just fucked up. I actually have no idea who these "friends" of yours are, but you need to get rid of them asap. Who gave anyone the right to decide what brand of religion is better than another? wtf

SaJ said...

Join the club. =\
Hear hear, I say.

Ubaid said...

I'm hating it too...

Dawson said...

Insensitive brutes will never stop. Bolne do, unki he jahalat samney aaye gi. Its not your problem THEY're weird, nature made them so as to create a contrast between you and them.
You echoed my feelings regarding them. Let them preside over their fanatism, you just be who you are regardless.

The Great Brown Experiment said...

We have our religion and our love for my blog header in common ;) Chill. *hugz*

Maryam said...

Anon: Thank you =P

Lonely: Yeah, I hope so too.

• » ∂я.¢нιℓє ¢нєℓ¢ « •: I’m not depressed, I’m pissed. But thank you for your comment =)

CrazyLady: Glad you understand. I’ll go stalk you now.

The Me: I know, right? Pata nai yaar. Insane.

Jaahil: I’m serious. They actually do that. These so called ‘friends’ of mine are now not so much anymore.

Roshni: Haina? Sahi baat hai.

SaJ: =D, thanks for the comment!

UB: Yeah, well I guess we all are.

Maria: You cheer me up, you do.

R: *hugs back*

Mehreen Kasana said...

Bummer.

Furree Katt said...

i'm shia too! *massive high five*
i also cover, in the sense that i wear dupatta/stole over my head with everything.
thankfully i don't know anyone in pakistan, because since i moved back here early this year, i've been homeschooled. so i haven't faced much problem concerning which sect i belong to, since there's no one who's asked.
must be tough for you ;( but you have loads of support from your blog readers, including me =DD

thanks for the follow. <33

Maryam said...

Furree: Haha, yay =D
I wear a dupatta/stole, too. You're actually lucky if you're home schooled you know. Maybe you're missing out on some good but you're also skipping a whole lot of bad. Thank you so much for the support! And the following =D

Lonely Perverted Soul said...

waisay i feel like beating someone up over this...

Roumopod said...

oh wow.
good riddance for all the confused-faith pals you have.
People who do not understand us are alright. People who make an effort to not to understand are best left in their own worlds, and outside ours.
I truly and firmly believe in that.
Way to go.
Maulla Power.

f said...

I'm sunni. I cover my head.and I get a lot of shit from people too:) You get shit from friends, I get shit from my own family :p but AAL IZ WELL.

Anushay. said...

This is shitty
My closest/best friends (including you) are all shia's and each and everyone of them is practicing the same rituals you do. I don't get to see them for 2 straight months, irrespective of the fact that I hardly get to meet them otherwise, but I don't badger them by calling up and asking them to convert. I respect that.
But i do try and go to their place to see their bootiful faces once I know its okay with them that i visit =)
*hint*

Aly said...

My friend is hell bent upon converting me into a sunni. Its kinda cute when he scrunches up when i don't even listen to his neverending tirades.