Sunday, May 10, 2009

Tell Me.

Tell me, why is it that people who are Pakistani are tortured the most in Pakistan, compared to any other fucking country? Tell me, what do they do when all the while they were living outside of Pakistan, they were taught that this was their country, their people, their land, and ironically, it is here that they are going through hell? Tell me, how can they live here, then?

A friend of mine went to this trip with her University. Normal field trip, nice Pakistani people, nice Pakistan. The bus caught fire, her feet burnt, her friend's arm burnt, the food burnt, she got a nose-bleed, she can't fucking walk. She didnt really mind all that, maybe it was all chance, coincidence, right? This is her, verbatim:

Eenust says:
No, it's okay.
Eenust says:
I just hate 80% Pakistani people's reaction to such situations.
Eenust says:
They're low-life fuckers.

Maryam says:
which would be?

Eenust says:
Aag lagi hui hai wahan. Loot macha di.
Eenust says:
They stole the food boxes. Many were dancing and hooting.
Eenust says:
Some just walked away and started smoking.
Eenust says:
My friend pulled me up because my feet were burnt.
Eenust says:
He tried to put cold bottles on it.
Eenust says:
God. I hate these people.

She said she was always accepted where she lived before, despite the color of her skin. Here, she's considered an outcast, despite the color of her skin. Fucking, hateable, stupid people. Passive-aggressive shits. Why anyone would want to live here is beyond me. Not those who've been living here since forever and are used to it. Those who come here with the hope of being in their 'own land'.

Eenust says:
Mashallah. Mujhe nakseer aa rehi thi.
Eenust says:
I needed ice cold water to put on my nose.
Eenust says:
A guy knows I needed it. He drinks all of it and goes, "Oh. Sorry."

...I don't even know what to say to her. Goddammit, what'll happen if we're all this hell-bent on destroying ourselves and everyone around us, no matter what the cost? Can't we even fucking HELP people who need our help?

11 comments:

Ubaid said...

Is mulk ka waqay hi kuch nahi ho sakta !!

DysfunctionaL said...

everyone is so bloody selfish! there is NO concept of helping out someone.. all they can think of is.. humara faida hojaye..

its such a piss off..

and its also SO very sad.

p.s. i hope ur friend feels better soon.

gone! said...

I don't completely agree! You may call them selfish or fucking mean people or whatever you want but at least, they are there in the hour of need! I am not saying always but mostly they are. People always care in the neighbourhood and even the relatives!

Come here in America and you will know what real selfishness is! Nobody cares even if you are dying. Not that I want to bring this point, but I have seen my own host mom, telling my host sister, to not bring her friends over at the house since she doesn't want to feed others' kids despite the fact that they are filthy rich!

I must say, Pakistan is still way better in this regard!

DysfunctionaL said...

bitter truth - i agree pakistani culture is more collective, hence the families are more close and helpful etc [which is also not always the case, there are exceptions everywhere]
but given this situation, people anywhere else would act more humanely.. when it comes to strangers, people in other countries are definitely more likely to lend a helping hand.. and in case of fire, like in this situation, the strangers would have definitely called 911 rather than looting and enjoying the show..

Xeb said...

Color of her skin? What are we talking about here?

Or am I just not understanding what happened... :(

Maryam said...

Bitter - I'm sorry, I don't agree. Its more like they're there sometimes in the hour of need, but usually, they're not. I've seen way too many instances as proof. I'm not saying America's way better and blah blah. Sure, Pakistan does have some appreciable values - emphasis on some - but do you really think they help people who need it? No. They don't. They either stand around, make jokes, or steal. After all, its not happening to them, why care, right? This isn't intended as criticism to you or your views. You're very much entitled to them. But I just don't agree.

Maryam said...

Marina: You said it, love.

Dysfunctional: but given this situation, people anywhere else would act more humanely.. when it comes to strangers, people in other countries are definitely more likely to lend a helping hand.. and in case of fire, like in this situation, the strangers would have definitely called 911 rather than looting and enjoying the show.. EXACTLY.

Anushay. said...

This is very pathetic

Anonymous said...

Eenust be here.

First of all: Thank you for speaking up, Yammay. I really love you for it. To see someone actually paying a damn to this dilemma is helpful. I feel much better even if I'm walking with crutches right now.

Secondly: Like Yammay said, the values in this country are appreciable on other occasions. Respect for elderly folks, traditions, blah blah blah. Right now, if you can read, we're talking about emergencies. Pakistani people, usually, don't know a thing about what to do.

At least, in the States, (and I'm not discussing the government, regime, oh-my-God-white-people-should-die, Orleans-was-ignored stories) people dial 911or simply reach out to those in pain. I sat on the floor of the bus which happened to be skin-scalding hot iron while guys sat on the seats and sang songs. It made me want to cry but all I did was play Canal Control on my mobile. That’s how comforting my Pakistani brothers and sisters are. 80%, remember. Not the 20%.

Majaz said...

This is completely and totally pathetic.. I didn't read the comments because I was in too much of a hurry to state my disgust.

Seriously, morosely pathetic.

Anonymous said...

Check out the picture on my blog.

Man, I'm being an attention-whore right now, eh? But, hey, my feet are burnt and I walk with crutches these days. Thank you.